Make Safety A Resolution You Can Keep And Sign Up For SMART911
The Office of Emergency Management & Communications (OEMC) launched Smart911 in 2018 to better prepare Chicago residents when calling 9-1-1. Throughout 2022 we are reintroducing Smart911 to make sure all residents have the information they need to take advantage of this free and private service. Smart911 allows individuals to create a safety profile for their household that includes any information they may want 9-1-1 and first responders to have in the event of an emergency.
Chicago residents can input a wide array of information into their Smart911 safety profile, such as the medical history and medications, home and work addresses, mental health conditions, the layout of their home, number of residents and pets in the home, disabilities, emergency contacts, and more.
All Smart911 profiles are private and will only appear to the 9-1-1 call taker for the duration of a 9-1-1 call. To sign up for Smart911, residents can create a free safety profile by visiting www.SMART911.com or download the Smart911 App. At a time when every second counts, Smart911 provides a platform to input critical details that could impact response and make the difference between life and death.
Why sign up for Smart911?
- Save Time–Smart911 allows individuals and families to provide, medical, household or situational information when they call 9-1-1 to help first responders rapidly assist in the case of an emergency. The Smart911 profile you create is displayed to the call taker whenyou call 9-1-1 from the registered phone number.
- Help with Location–Because over 80% of 9-1-1 calls are made from cell phones today and by providing home address in the profile, the call taker canbetter verify the location of the incident, which is criticalwhen time is of the essence.
- Prepare First Responder–In COVID-19 times, by including vaccination data and other household information, the first responderscan know vital information prior to arrival.Include your vehicle description, utility shut offlocations, property layout and any information that would be useful in an emergency call to 9-1-1. Enter as much or as little as you like.
- Get Resources Needed–Medical details and conditions such as allergies, medicines, mental health situations and autism can be provided which can help to get the resources needed.
- Provide Language Option-Residents can also sign up for a safety profile in ANY language and indicate that they or someone in the household has difficulty communicating in English. 9-1-1 willknow to connect them with an interpreter ASAP in an emergency.
- Communicate Mental Health Conditions–If you are experiencing a behavioral health emergency, you may find it easier to communicate with safety professional by text message. You can also include any mental health information you feel is important for 9-1-1 so first responders can communicate and assist you during difficult times.
- NEW -RecordedHome Surveillance CameraOption–Residents can opt-in to better serveChicago communities by sharing their public-facing surveillance camera with law enforcement investigators if needed on their Smart911 safety profiles. Residents with a home surveillance camera that captures the public way can partner with Chicago Policeifa crime occurs in their neighborhood by allowing the police tocontact you to share video footage to help solvecrime.
- Assist Seniors–For active seniors, a safety profile can give peace of mind that in the event of an emergency, 9-1-1-would have detailson their home and medical needs. For loved ones with Alzheimer’s or other critical health matters, information can be added along with an emergency contact.
- Include Physical Disabilities–For those who have physical disability or mobility restriction, it is vital for first responders to know about the disability and what type of assistance or special equipment they may need to evacuate their home or receive transport.
- Save Your Pet–Do you share your home with petsor service animals? This information can assist firefighters in their search to bring everyone, including your pets, to safety.
- Your Profile Travels with You-Smart911 is a national service meaning your Smart911 Safety Profile travels with you and is visible to any participating 9-1-1 center nationwide.
For additional information, visit our website at Chicago.gov/OEMC.